Data Sheet for Learn Inventor

Dear SiFive team,

I recently acquired a Learn Inventor board, but I can’t find any serious documentation (e.g. data sheet) besides a very rudimentary " Getting Started Guide.pdf" and an empty “DataSheet.pdf” on https://github.com/sifive/Amazon-FreeRTOS.

I’m especially interested in controlling the color LEDs on the SoC and reading the sensors.

Thanks for any hint!

I don’t know anything about the board, or low level board programming, but the getting started docs point at a dts file. That is a text file that describes the hardware, used for the linux kernel, and also for our bsp, which is github.com/sifive/freedom-e-sdk. Looking at the Amazon-FreeRTOS repo, I found bsp files in https://github.com/sifive/Amazon-FreeRTOS/tree/master/vendors/sifive/boards/hifive1_rev_b/aws_demos/application_code/sifive_code/bsp and if you look at the design.dts file there it has lines for 0red etc that mention gpio0 address and apparently an interrupt number? The metal-platform.h file appears to have a lot of macros that might be useful. Or alternatively, you could try reading freedom-e-sdk docs and using the interfaces provided by the bsp.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply! I checked the DTS file you referred to and indeed found some lines on “led@0red”, “led@0green”, and “led@0blue”; in my eyes this describes a single multicolor LED (as available on HiFive1 board), but Learn Inventor features a matrix of 48 multicolor LEDs, so I still lack information on how to control these.
In metal-platform.h I only see a macro to enable LED driver code, but no specifics on LED matrix control.
I also checked freedeom e sdk, but I can only find references to the single color LED mentioned above.

As HiFive1 Rev B and Learn Inventor are similar, but not identical boards, I would expect some way to distinguish between both in FreeRTOS or freedom e sdk code, but I don’t see any macros for this purpose or even a dedicated board support package for Learn Inventor.

Could it be that dedicated support for Learn Inventor-specific peripherals such as LED matrix or temperature sensor are simply still missing?

Thanks for any further help!

I can’t find any useful public documentation. I’ve raised an issue internally asking for better docs to be made available, and we are working on it.

Hi Jim,

Thanks a lot for your help, I’m really looking forward to seeing more Learn Inventor-related documentation.

Hi all,

I have also just received the SiFive Learn Inventor and I’m really excited to start tinkering with it! The work SiFive are doing with RISC-V is great. Any updates on when further Learn Inventor documentation might be made available?

Maybe I’m wrong, but when you initially connect the device you are greeted with blue and green LEDs - maybe the initial code the board ships with would be useful?

In any case, love the work that’s going on in this area. Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Hi all,

Any timescale for the micropython too - the Pimoroni description say it is available, but I can’t find it anywhere.

Hi all,

Is there any reason that nearly no documentation about the Inventor board is available? Even the only repo with probable documentation was taken down and never fixed? It would be great if this old documentation became available at least. Does anyone have it?

1 Like