Ubuntu 21.04 for Unmatched

Ubuntu 21.04 has released and it features preinstalled server image for SiFive Hifive Unmatched

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/21.04/release/

It is similar to the previously published image for Unleashed.

One can flash to sd-card and after cloud-init is done login with “ubuntu:ubuntu”.

See RISC-V - Ubuntu Wiki for more detailed instructions. Or ask me anything.

4 Likes

Will this also work on the Beagle-V I just received? (same U74 cores but different SoC)

1 Like

The beaglev beta board requires kernel workarounds that aren’t expected to go upstream, because of SoC issues that will be fixed before production. I wouldn’t expect anything to work on it other than a distro specifically built for it. You might be able to use an Ubuntu rootfs with the beaglev kernel and u-boot though. There is incidentally a fedora image available for the beaglev beta board which is mentioned in the getting started guide.

1 Like

Jim is correct, it will not work. One could bring in their own opensbi/u-boot/kernel, update extlinux.conf and reuse ubuntu rootfs. But that’s not ideal.

A few Ubuntu people have received Beagle-V boards (I didn’t, but others have). We are looking to see if it will be feasible for 21.10 to have Beagle-V support.

1 Like

Yes, I’m already running Fedora on my BeagleV. But I tend to know Debian/Ubuntu better.

There are reports from people who have already copied Debian and other rootfs over the Fedora one, keeping the kernel and uboot etc. They do also save a couple of directories from the Fedora (kernel modules for example) and copy them into the other OS.