Shipment delayed again?

Thanks for the update <3

1 Like

With the global electronics supply shortages idling my employers car/truck assembly plants this is not unexpected unfortunately. If billion dollar corporations cannot get parts what about smaller companiesā€¦ It ships when it ships. My FormD T1 w/Corsair 450, w/pslatecustom sleeved cables w/AMD wx7100 w/PCIe Bifurcation riser w/Titan Ridge thunderbolt AIC waits for the board! Good day to you all.

2 Likes

For those who are interested by ā€œreal picturesā€ of the Unmatched board and PC setup, here is a recent post of Carlos Eduardoā€™s work on Linked-In.

1 Like

Fixed link: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6779751505160400896

Thanks for the link fix ! :slight_smile:

Mouser updated, so the board finally got its turn in factory?

Mouser has been saying ~900 boards (908 now) on May 28 for a while now. 28 weeks lead time!

At 360 per batch, that means theyā€™ve got orders for 172. CrowdSupply have orders for around 320 to 325 boards from 283 backers.

Mouser has once sold out a batch, the amount could be 532.

good point

Keep in mind that CrowdSupply and Mouser are the same company. So it looks like 532 total have been sold between the two companies. That doesnā€™t count the pre-release ones that have been given to SiFive employees and partners.

3 Likes

Crowd Supply has for about two years been a subsidiary of Mouser, but they seem to still have their own (significantly less efficient) fulfilment operation which gets products a few days later than Mouser (and presumably from Mouser), and then slowly drip-feeds them out to customers.

According to datasheet at mouser, the frequency will be 1.2 GHz, bit disappointing ā€¦

1 Like

That would be disappointing indeed. That would make it slower for many things than my three year old HiFive Unleashed which has been running perfectly stably at 1.45 GHz for all that time.

U74 has been previously announced to have 10% increase in Fmax compared to U54, due to the longer pipeline, so I was really hoping for something similar to ARM A55s which are commonly running at 1.8 or 2.0 GHz.

BeagleBoard.org are still advertising the mass production version of their quad core U74 BeagleV as 1.5 GHz though the beta pre-production version ā€“ which they strongly emphasise is not representative of the final product ā€“ only runs at 1.0 GHz.

The StarFive JH7110 is a different SoC of course.

2 Likes

Since Mouser accepts orders again i thought iā€™d place mine now. Then i saw the expected delivery time is 28 weeks ā€¦ thatā€™s somewhere end of this year. That seems a bit excessive to me, is that realistic or is there a good chance that will change when the board is released?

If you click on the question mark next to the 28 weeks it tells you this is the ā€œEstimated factory production time for quantities greater than shown.ā€. Though the only shown number is the number already ordered which is 869. Down below it says factory pack quantity is 360. Based on previous info Iā€™ve seen on this page, I believe that 1440 boards are being built, which means that 571 havenā€™t been sold yet. So when we hit 1440 sold, and someone wants board 1441, there is a 28 week delay from when we ask for a new set of boards to be built and when they get the new boards. Though presumably we wouldnā€™t wait until all boards are sold before asking for more to be built, so the wait should be less than 28 weeks. Also, the 28 weeks figure is presumably a result of the global chip shortage. If that resolves before we run out of the initial order of boards, then the wait should be significantly less than 28 weeks. I think this page used to say 6 weeks was the factory lead time, before the global chip shortage became a problem.

Of course, the issue of when we ship the current set of boards is a somewhat related question. The current estimated ship date is end of May, and I have no idea if we will hit that mark. Iā€™m not directly involved in the project, and the people who know what is going on havenā€™t been very chatty about the details. There is a risk here that the current set of boards might get delayed due to the global chip shortage if parts werenā€™t ordered early enough. If you are worried about that, you might want to wait until boards start shipping before you order one.

1 Like

My guess is most of the parts (except extra RAM) have been waiting since the original December/January ship date. The delay seems about the right length for a re-spin of the main SoC.

Thanks for the information @jimw.

Iā€™m not sure what to do. Order everything (unmatched+all other parts) before shortages become a real issue (with the risk of the unmatched being much later than the rest), or wait for the unmatched to become available (with the risk that the other parts are harder to find due to shortages).

Weā€™ve posted an update in a separate thread, but hereā€™s a quick summary of the good news:

• Like many of you, we were impacted by COVID-related supply chain issues for some of the boardā€™s components; but weā€™re past that now
  • Boards are en-route to our distributors
  • No FU740 SoC issues, and some good early successes

Hereā€™s the forum thread with the full update (where weā€™ll also post any other updates):

Onward and upward!

1 Like

Hi, @bruce, the delays have been due to waiting on some parts for the boards - like most people, we were impacted by some COVID-related supply chain issues. There are no problems with the FU740. I posted an update in a new forum thread: SiFive update on HiFive Unmatched board shipments.