Anyone receive their Unmatched?

There’s a few different holes & pins, you should be able to contrive a way to connect a larger fan to it, but I haven’t tried.

fwiw, there’s a known issue covering lack of RTC support (see 8.12 in the SW Reference Manual), which is the purpose of that battery. Other boot config data is stored in non-volatile memory. It would be nice to include, but is also sort of unnecessary at the moment if you don’t have one

Ok, so I happened to receive two 140mm fans today. They are loud ones, but useful for testing. I was able to mount them on the sides of the BC1-mini blowing across the motherboard. I disconnected the CPU fan. I ran a kernel compile with make -j4 and the CPU has stayed below 34C the whole time. So I think that type of solution could work. If you remove the unused fan from the top of the CPU heatsink, it may it allow it to cool more freely as well.

1 Like

Thx. Still I ordered the battery from Amazon. Don’t have my board yet, nor shipping / tracking number. I wonder if they are shipping crowd* orders first, then mouser orders? Anyhow I am sure the RTC issue will be fixed and I won’t have to remember to order a battery and open the case and install it.

Last thing I need is to order a Samsung 970 evo plus 2 TB. Luckily they are in stock.

Anyone get a shipping notification from mouser.com yet? I ordered pretty late (5/5/21) after sitting on the fence forever. Got an email last week saying it would ship today (6/1) but so far no shipping email and mouser.com says 0 stock and my order states pending. Beginning to think I should have ordered from crowd supply or possibly should cancel my mouser order and place an order with crowd supply that say should ship 6/2 currently.

I have my case, SSD, wireless card, GPU, and power supply all ready to go just waiting on the board :slight_smile:

Mouser owns CrowdSupply. I think they just did the CrowdSupply orders first. I’d think Mouser shipping would be real-soon-now, so wouldn’t bother canceling or you may just lose time. Mouser can easily ship 500+ motherboards/day if they have them in stock, they are huge.

1 Like

Absolutely. I replaced the original 25mm fan with a 40mm (10mm thickness) ultra-quiet fan (AINEX CFZ-4010LA [3300 RPM; 4.02 CFM; 10.3 dBA]). I mounted this on the heat sink using one screw (instead of two) and it worked for me.
You can use “ASM FAN” or pin converter (3-pin to 2-pin).

I posted my configuration (plus some photos and testing results) on Reddit.

4 Likes

I think it’s a bit more complicated than just “CrowdSupply first” – I’m a CrowdSupply orderee, but I don’t have a board yet (or even a shipping notification) even though my order page still says “Currently estimated to ship on May 28, 2021” (although I didn’t order mine until March, so a bit of a latecomer) – we’ve got folks in this very thread who have received their orders from Mouser, so it seems more to me like either the available stock is being spread out across the two platforms based on the raw combined queue order or separately based on each platform’s queue order (either way, I’ve no doubt it’s being done fairly). :sweat_smile: :+1:

2 Likes

Based on those who have received theirs already, it looks like Crowd Supply is going through the backer list in order (bottom up). I received my shipping notification on May 30.

https://www.crowdsupply.com/sifive/hifive-unmatched/backers

1 Like

Like you, the last email from Mouser was indicating June 1st. I then got a notification from my VISA card that the amount of money for this board has been “reserved” on June 1st. This morning I got an email from Mouser and a SMS from DHL that my board should be delivered on June 4th. I’m living in Switzerland. Switzerland is not part of EC and so there’s always some delays because of supplementary administrative steps (including customs). So all this is explainable.

Edited :

• order was made on January 4th.
  • received as advertised on June 4th.

Similar here: ordered on 2021/05/13. I have received a few update emails, but with no change at all on the order status.

With the wait will also come an easier initial install (and already tricks on how to replace the noisy fan), thanks to the early recipients, and maybe even more upstreamed code.

I ordered from Crowd Supply on Jan 22, 2021 and haven’t heard anything yet.

I got my board delivered on 2nd June to Germany (ordered via Mouser last year). Fan is really loud. No battery for CMOS was included.

2 Likes

I just received a Crowdsupply order placed on Nov 26, 2020. USA.

the fan on CPU is 12V on my board… FYI

1 Like

You can’t see the text on the fan with it installed, as the text is facing down with the airflow blowing into the heatsink. I removed it and the part number matches what I listed above, but it has 12V printed on it, so the specs above were probably wrong.

I found a slightly different type of fan at Digi-Key and according to the data sheet it is a 12V fan.
Sunon MF25101V1-1000C-A99 > Is installed on the board
Sunon MF25101V1-1000U-G99 > I found this one, but the data sheet should be valid for both in terms of voltage.

1 Like

I received my unmatched board from crowd supply Wed 02-June 2021. Board was
ordered Nov 20, 2020. Im waiting for a graphics card to complete an unmatched system build.

1 Like

Inspired by a4lg’s post, I decided to make a small 3D printed mount (Thingiverse) for NF-A4x10 FLX 40mm Noctua fan. The mount itself is pretty boring but it’s designed in a way that everything should tight fit (no screws required to mount):

This was printed using PETG which has melting temperature around 75°C. For a prolonged use, ABS is probably a better material (but it’s harder to print, and I assume heatsink won’t ever got that hot).

The first version of the design that I made create a transitional shape between 40mm and 20mm, but this resulted in a pressure drop and is very inefficient in cooling the CPU. The current design is not ideal either, but it managed to get similar numbers as with a4lg’s post.

It’s worth noting that this approach requires 120mm chassis fan as an intake. Fortunately, silent 120mm are much easier to find. In my setup, I use NF-A12x25 (120mm x 25mm) as an intake fan at the top and NF-A9x14 (92mm x 14mm) as an exhaust at the back. Temperature during normal usage (not stress) is about 34.6°C (temp1)/41.8°C (temp2) at 25°C room temperature.

Measured noise of the entire machine is 36 dB. Given this machine currently sit next to my bed, I won’t mind leaving it running 24x7 at this noise level (e.g. air conditioner is much louder). Overall, I’m very satisfied with the setup now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Looks like Mouser has stock now, and my tracking number just became active.

1 Like