Anyone receive their Unmatched?

Please post a video on YouTube for anyone who has received the boards please. I received a mouser email today saying my board was expected to ship June 1st. Wish it had arrived today for the long holiday weekend. I have a FormD T1 case with AMD wx-7100 and Corsair PSU built waiting for the board now for weeks.

I wonder how smoothly the desktop will function, how video acceleration will work, and what packages/libraries work.

It will be interesting to see if a thunderbolt card with FireWire adapter will function properly with libraries like libavc1394 or libiec61883? Kinda obscure technologies predating the ISA.

I wonder how smoothly the desktop will function, how video acceleration will work, and what packages/libraries work.

mine arrived

rx 550 (4gb vram), 500gb 970 evo

bootup/usage from sdcard is quiet slow, looking to boot from the nvme ssd to get better performance

on a 4k monitor, seems drawing/resizing windows is a bit chunky… doesnt seem gpu accelerated with the default sdcard linux…

busy at work so havent been able to play with it more…

NVMe worksforme under the default OpenEmbedded OS and with a custom Debian install. I have it working with an “old” Kingston SA1000M8240G. It is way faster than SD. Feels like a regular workstation. :slight_smile:

I didn’t format it, but the Samsung 970 EVO Plus mechanically fits fine.

Edit:

I was able to use (partition, format, mount) a Western Digital WD Black in the PCI slot. Same for Intel SSD DC P4618 PCI (appears as two drives).

cool, ill try that when i have some time

1 Like

I’m expecting mine somewhere this week. Yesterday I received most other parts (SSD + cooler + USB adapter + PSU + Monitor) and I’m expecting my benchtable tomorrow. After that only the GPU is missing, so I’ll start without one until they are available again.

Arrived in rural Far North of New Zealand https://twitter.com/BruceHoult/status/1399175104383242244

1 Like

How loud is the stock fan?
Would a Noctua A4x20 PWM fit? (40mm)
I wonder if they don’t ship with CMOS battery due to shipping restrictions for items with batteries. Luckily I noticed last night it does not include CR battery and will order one from Amazon tonight

I got my board today (ordered via Mouser). After assembling the case and all, the noise level seems to be around 40~45 dB-ish at about 1ft. Slightly louder than standing in front of a household refrigerator. The fan is 20cm x 10cm so I don’t think Noctua A4x20 will fit.

Has anybody here tried using Unmatched with anything newer than RX 500? I’m trying to get X11 with RX 5700 (leftover from PC upgrade since I can’t find RX 500 anywhere I live), amdgpu driver seems to initialize just fine, but no output.

Stock fan is quite loud because it is small and spinning fast. The A4 Noctua is too big. I haven’t found a suitable replacement. I don’t think it needs much cooling, but it will overheat and BUG without the fan.

The fan is pretty loud. Louder then the Unleashed.

Sapphire R5 230 board worked immediately with the OS supplied on the card and the UI is snappy with perfectly smooth window dragging, menus etc.

MS 850 wireless keyboard and mouse (with USB dongle) work.

Epiphany works but is slow as hell from the supplied SD card, with a ton of IO wait and load average over 15.

2 Likes

Does the fan run at full speed all the time or is it temperature controlled in some way?

I also just noticed the GSG actually specifies a minimum airflow across the board. Do you use any case fans?

No speed control on the little fan on the CPU.

My board is just sitting on the kitchen table right now (on the supplied standoffs).

1 Like

I don’t have it in a case either. I have it mounted on one of these right now:

The system doesn’t run very hot, so I think you could probably get away with no case fans…

2 Likes

I installed two case fans which help a little bit with CPU and NVMe temperature. However Ubuntu RISC-V doesn’t seems to turn them on for some reason despite the GSG mentioned these fan headers should supply 12V without software control (outdated DTB file?).

I’ve tried doing some load test for about 15 minutes under Ubuntu (no case fans turned on), but it doesn’t seems to increase the CPU temperature by much, so case fan might not be unnecessary.

1 Like

What size fan is shipped with the board.
Looking for a quiet replacement fan.
I don’t want a vacuum cleaner sound level system.

It’s 25mm square.

According to the Bill of Materials[1] it is a Sunon MF25101V1-1000C-A99. Maybe the manufacturer’s website[2]. Maybe spec sheet[3].

• 25X25X10 mm
  • 5V Fan text reads “DC12V”
  • 0.6 watts Fan text reads “0.87W”
  • 3.8 l/min
  • 26 dBA
  • 50 mA
  • 14000 RPM
  • 0.27 Pa

[1] https://sifive.cdn.prismic.io/sifive/4f0048e8-1d35-4a1c-94ec-49a1021de21a_bill-of-materials-hifive-unmatched-3b0.pdf

[2] Sunon原厂供货 5V12V24V超薄小型2510风扇 USB轴流迷你工业散热风机 - 嘉兴顺原装SUNON总经销

[3] http://www.sunon-bj.com/uploads/soft/210301/1_1404179811.pdf

1 Like

I was able to use the two 3-pin fan headers on the motherboard to drive two 80mm fans. The fans were Sunon EE80251B1-0000-G99. DC12V, 1.7W. The fans were in a RM-2270, aka GHI-270, Dual Mini-ITX case 2U rackmount case. The fan speeds are not controllable afaict.

2 Likes

Thanks @forksand , i’ll be building a similar setup so your information is very useful to me.

If I understood the BC1-Mini’s manual correctly it includes brackets to attach a radiator (intended for water-cooling I guess), could that also be used to attach a big low-noise fan?

1 Like

hello, i received my Hifive Unmatched from Mouser this morning :wink:
Fun in view :wink:

1 Like