tbreak main
Error message from debugger back end:
Cannot access memory at address 0x20010188
Failed to execute MI command:
tbreak main
Error message from debugger back end:

I have already installed the Jlink drivers and software. If I type “lsusb” into my terminal, I can clearly see my device enumerating as a JLink USB device:

Bus 001 Device 011: ID 1366:1051 SEGGER

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this? Or is my board simply dead? I can load the serial terminal just fine, and I see the SiFive welcome text as I should. I just can’t upload to the board.

It would help to have some additional information.
Which command are you using?
Which OS are you using?

Which program you try to upload?

I’m experiencing the same error, see.
Did you try using the jlink tool from the terminal?

freedom-e-sdk/scripts/upload --hex ~/wsFreedomStudio/test/src/debug/hello.hex --jlink JLinkExe

You could also try to upload a hex file by copying it to the usb flash device that should be present when you connect your board.

2 Likes

Sorry I haven’t responded. I haven’t given up. I’m putting together a giant log of useful stuff, but for the time being heres some info:

Command: I’ve tried uploading via FreedomStudio IDE and the command line. Heres the actual command:
make BSP=metal [PROGRAM=hello] [TARGET=sifive-hifive1-revb] upload

The errors I get when I run that are here:
/bin/sh: riscv64-unknown-elf-gcc: command not found
make[1]: *** [Makefile:982: src/drivers/libriscv__mmachine__sifive-hifive1_a-fixed-clock.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/home/penguin/FreedomStudio/SiFive/freedom-e-sdk/freedom-e-sdk-v201903/bsp/sifive-hifive1/build/debug’
make: *** [scripts/libmetal.mk:34: /home/penguin/FreedomStudio/SiFive/freedom-e-sdk/freedom-e-sdk-v201903/bsp/sifive-hifive1/install/lib/debug/stamp] Error 2

I have the riscv toolchain. I just dont know what I need to export its location as.

The error message clearly states the problem:
Make does not find the gcc executable.

You need to set the RISCV_PATH environment variable as described in the readme for the freedom sdk:

This detail is not described in the HiFive rev B getting started guide

1 Like

Alright I look like an idiot, and I probably am one, BUT I have some context to this. Originally I had the riscv64-unknown-elf-gcc + riscv64-unknown-elf-binutils installed from AUR. Apparently these don’t work with the revb (or sifive boards in general?). So I uninstalled this, and I did as you said and now I think I’m just stuck on getting jlink to push from the terminal. So I think my problems are solved. Thank you!

Nevermind, I also got jlink uploading to work, thanks to yksflip

1 Like

The meaning of “AUR” eludes me?

A generic gcc toolchain will work fine for application code on SiFive chips and boards, including the HiFive1 RevB.

In particular I think only a generic toolchain is needed for the old v1_0 branch of the freedom-e-sdk. Sadly we don’t have a BSP for the RevB there.

The new “Metal” library in the master branch of freedom-e-sdk (where we do have a BSP for the RevB) directly refers to some interrupt controller CSRs that are proposed to be a future RISC-V standard, but aren’t yet, and generic gcc doesn’t yet know about them.

Sorry, the AUR is the Arch User Repository.
When running this command with the toolchain from the AUR:
“make BSP=metal [PROGRAM=hello] [TARGET=sifive-hifive1-revb] upload”

I get the following errors:

/home/penguin/FreedomStudio/SiFive/freedom-e-sdk/freedom-e-sdk-v201903/freedom-metal/src/drivers/riscv,cpu.c: Assembler messages:
/home/penguin/FreedomStudio/SiFive/freedom-e-sdk/freedom-e-sdk-v201903/freedom-metal/src/drivers/riscv,cpu.c:139: Error: unknown CSR mtvt'</b> <b>/home/penguin/FreedomStudio/SiFive/freedom-e-sdk/freedom-e-sdk-v201903/freedom-metal/src/drivers/riscv,cpu.c:161: Error: unknown CSR mtvt’
/home/penguin/FreedomStudio/SiFive/freedom-e-sdk/freedom-e-sdk-v201903/freedom-metal/src/drivers/riscv,cpu.c:165: Error: unknown CSR `mtvt’
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1010: src/drivers/libriscv__mmachine__sifive-hifive1_a-riscv,cpu.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/home/penguin/FreedomStudio/SiFive/freedom-e-sdk/freedom-e-sdk-v201903/bsp/sifive-hifive1/build/debug’
make: *** [scripts/libmetal.mk:34: /home/penguin/FreedomStudio/SiFive/freedom-e-sdk/freedom-e-sdk-v201903/bsp/sifive-hifive1/install/lib/debug/stamp] Error 2

These errors don’t occur if I use the toolchain provided with Freedom Studio.
Sources:

and me trying it =P