Is the board open?

I like to see improvements in bringing RISC-V platforms to a more reachable level.

I excited when I see a complete RISC-V motherboard finally but I am not sure if HiFive Unmatched will be open hardware, as I could not find the schematic diagrams and other files.

If it is intended to be open can you please inform when the full IP is planned to be published?

1 Like

If you look at https://www.sifive.com/boards/hifive-unmatched near the bottom there are placeholders for “Schematics”, “Design Files”, “BOM” which will hopefully turn into real links as the boards get closer to shipping (Jan 1 at Mouser)

That would still depend on the SoC itself being available. I haven’t seen any word from SiFive whether they intend to make the FU740 available as a bare chip. The FE310 is, the FU540 never has been.

Yes, I saw that. Just wanted to be sure when can we see the details.

Buy the way, are the Freedom Unleashed SoCs open too? There is only U74-MC in the core designer with similar features, which I am not sure if they share the exact same architecture.

I recall SiFive at some point announcing they had completely recreated the FU-540 as far as tape-out using Core Designer and Chip Designer (which isn’t open to the public yet).

I believe the idea is that you can recreate things such as U74-MC and FU-740 in those tools from the components provided, but the components themselves are not open source.

1 Like