When will the rest of the docs be available?

At present, only the Product Brief is available. For people to make a decision on preorders, it would be helpful to have more complete documentation.

Further, for serious developers, having sub-forums would be helpful. Like this:

HiFive Unmatched:

• Hardware
  • Booting
  • Linux
  • Other software
    etc…

Someone who wants to add a new OS, like one of the BSD kernels, would need to know more about the hardware and boot sequence. Some people may want to share tips and tricks on other software, like compiling.

And of course, Linux specific questions.

Arwen

The initial versions of the U740 asic docs and the Unmatched board getting started guide are now available. Visit https://www.sifive.com/boards/hifive-unmatched and scroll down to the bottom.

1 Like

@jimw, Thank you for letting me / us know.

I’ve started going through the documentation and found a minor typo with Freedom U740-C000 Manual / FU740-C000-Manual-v1p0.pdf;

The text lists 8 interrupts per channel, (see below), except that table 60 that follows only shows 2 interrupts.

14.1.1 PDMA Channels
The FU740-C000 PDMA has 4 independent DMA channels, which operate concurrently to support
multiple simultaneous transfers. Each channel has an independent set of control registers, which
are described in Section 14.2 and Section 14.3, and 8 interrupts described in Section14.1.2.

14.1.2 Interrupts
The PDMA has 8 interrupts per channel that are used to signal when either a transfer has
completed, or when a transfer error has occurred.

It should probably read as the following;

14.1.1 PDMA Channels
The FU740-C000 PDMA has 4 independent DMA channels, which operate concurrently to sup-port
multiple simultaneous transfers. Each channel has an independent set of control registers,which are
described in Section 14.2 and Section 14.3, and 2 interrupts described in Section14.1.2.

14.1.2 Interrupts
The PDMA has 2 interrupts per channel, (8 total), that are used to signal when either a transfer
has completed, or when a transfer error has occurred.

If you have a method to report documentation errors, missing items or improvements, let me, (and the Forum), know. I will gladly submit a GitHub issue, or other method to report these items.

My personal take on documentation is that it’s never perfect, and is a living document subject to error correction, additions and improvements.

Thanks for spotting the bug! I’ve filed an internal ticket with the documentation team.

I agree we need a better method to report documentation errors. (I’d prefer GitHub Issues, personally.) For now the recommended approach is to post on the Forums, like you’ve done. For better visibility, please consider starting a new thread for each issue.

1 Like

You are welcome.

If it helps for implementing GitHub for documentation, limiting the general public to creating issues but not merges, is fine with me.

Some projects don’t mind external bug reports, or requests for enhancement. But, they do reserve the right to restrict actual changes. That’s reasonable. Even the Linux kernel has a change filter, (aka Linus).