Specification Consistency

Hello Everyone,

I have found multiple issues in the specifications manual for the FE310 Manual available from here:

Here is a snapshot of the documentation with revision v2p3 for the SPI Controller on the FE310 SoC.

As per the specifications the bit field dir is 1 only for spi0 and zero for spi1 and spi2.
But then the text description is not matching with the data on the table 18.15.

Should the following text be:

The reset value is 0x0008 0008, corresponding to proto = single, dir = Rx, endian = MSB, and len = 8 for spi0. The reset value is 0x0008 0000, corresponding to proto = single, dir = Rx, endian = MSB, and len = 8 for spi1 and spi2.

this:

The reset value is 0x0008 0008, corresponding to proto = single, dir = Tx, endian = MSB, and len = 8 for spi0. The reset value is 0x0008 0000, corresponding to proto = single, dir = Rx, endian = MSB, and len = 8 for spi1 and spi2.

or this one:

The reset value is 0x0008 0008, corresponding to proto = single, dir = Rx, endian = MSB, and len = 8 for spi0. The reset value is 0x0008 0000, corresponding to proto = single, dir = Tx, endian = MSB, and len = 8 for spi1 and spi2.

Can anyone help me in this regard?
How do I get in touch with SiFive Technical Team to report such issues in the specifications?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Ameya Vikram Singh
Ameya Vikram Singh | Senior Member of Technical Staff | CircuitSutra | +91 8122657508 |

ESL Methodologies: SystemC Modeling IP & Services

(We are defining modeling methodologies for RISC-V ecosystem & AI/DL SoC)

I filed an internal bug report against the docs.

I don’t know if there is any other way for you to report doc bugs. I suppose you could try contacting sales/marketing to try to open a communication channel between the two companies.

The SPI I/O Direction table clearly specifies that 0 is Rx and 1 is Tx. So I don’t think that part is wrong. Otherwise, I have no idea what is wrong here.

FYI You can find the source for the SPI module in

Thank you @jimw for the assistance.

But there are multiple inconsistencies throughout the documentation.
I will try to get in touch with the sales/marketing team.

On another note, it would be great if one can have a bug tracker like system for reporting and probable fixes for the documentation team, which can be passed to the technical team for review.
That way, many redundant specification inconsistencies/errors requests can be tracked.

Best Regards,
Ameya Vikram Singh

We have a way for customers/partners to file bug reports. We don’t have a way for the general public to do this, other than via the forums, or via github issues. Unfortunately, the docs aren’t a public github repo, so you can’t file issues there. You could file issues in sifive/sifive-blocks, but that may not be the best place for that.