Software debug via jtag on vc707

Hi all,
i found there is jtag pin of freedom-500 on vc707 implementation, but no coresponding openocd or bsp found.
if i want to debug software on chip in vc707, what should i do?

thank you

Note that on the Linux-capable platform, you can just run GDB as usual to debug your user processes. OpenOCD is really intended for low-level debugging, for example debugging the linux kernel or bootloader.

OpenOCD would work fine as it automatically detects most of the information about the platform. Debugging is basically the same as for the E-series chips, assuming you have an .elf file compiled with debug symbols. You should remove the flash related lines from you OpenOCD config file, otherwise things should basically just work.

1 Like

I had the same problem and I am just going to share my solution here, even if this is an old topic.

First, you need to create the U500 bitstream ad program the VC707 using the resulting mcs and prm files. You have two options for JTAG: either you connect it through a Xilinx FMC XM105 Debug Card or use the LCD pins to connect an Olimex ARM TINY-USB debugger.

To generate the openocd config file and the BSP, you can use the update-targets.sh script in the bsp folder of the freedom-e-sdk repository. Note that you need to map the flash to the RAM (change address space) and comment the flash command in the openocd config file as suggested by @mwachs5.

Then, you can compile, upload and debug your code as for Freedom E310 running on Arty A7.

You can find more details in my Medium tutorial.