RISC-V Toolchain for Unleashed

(Sammy Lin) #1

Is there a prebuilt toolchain for cross compiling Linux applications running on the Unleashed? I would like to build applications that use the full Linux GLIBC running on that board.

(Jim Wilson) #2

The system that ships with the Unleashed is a very minimal OS, not very useful for development work.

If you want to do real work on the Unleashed, then you need to install a real OS on it, like Debian, Ubuntu, OpenSuse, FreeBSD, OpenEmbedded/Yocto, buildroot, etc. They all come with compilers. OpenEmbedded/Yocto and buildroot use cross compilation, and will give you a cross compiler. Debian/Ubuntu/OpenSuse/FreeBSD work best if you build natively. Just install the compiler package and start building stuff. You can find pointers to OS distros here
https://github.com/riscv/riscv-wiki/wiki/RISC-V-Software-Status#operating-systems

We used github.com/sifive/freedom-u-sdk to build the system that comes with the board. If you check this out and build it you will get a cross compiler that should produce binaries that run on the board, but this is not the best way to use the board.

(Sammy Lin) #3

Hi Jim. Is there a prebuilt version of the toolchain from freedom-u-sdk or do we have to build it from source?

(Jim Wilson) #4

We don’t have a prebuilt version of it. You will have to build it if you want it. The pre-built system really isn’t very useful. I’d suggest using one of the other solutions I mentioned.