Program Quad SPI Flash on Arty using Dual RS232-HS instead of Olimex OpenOCD JTAG ARM-USB-TINY-H

Comparing the schematics of both HiFive and Arty FPGA in terms of flash, USB-JTAG chip and Coreplex E31 SoC connections, It seems they are quite the same. In Arty the flash is connected to the Artix FPGA through SPI and the latter is connected to FT2232HL through uart and in HiFvie flash is connected to the E31 Coreplex chip through SPI which is connected to FT2232HL through uart. So basically is there is any possibility I could Flash the Quad SPI through FT2232HL as it is done in HiFive ?

Once the Coreplex has been loaded into the FPGA fabric, I suppose you could flash through FT2232HL, but I am not seeing the advantage. Since your Coreplex is lost each time the FPGA powers down, you would need to reload it again via the Olimex OpenOCD.

I have tried to use the hifive openocd script instead of arty script after loading the coreplex (mcs file) in the FPGA fabric but the board wasn’t recognized.

Error: no device found
Error: unable to open ftdi device with vid 0403, pid 6010, description ‘Dual RS232-HS’, serial ‘’ at bus location '

Besides, I have conducted few tests related to what you have mentioned and it seems that the FPGA retains the coreplex after FPGA powers down and also I can load the coreplex mcs file without Olimex. So what I did was, I disconnected the olimex debugger and loaded mcs file and it was terminated successfully. Then I have connected the olimex to flash demo_gpio and then disabled it again. After power down and then power back on the LEDs were blinking normally.