I have managed to get Minecraft running on my Unmatched (Ubuntu), although running is a probably not the best word for this. It took about 20 minutes to get to the main menu, took about an hour to generate and load a new game, and took about 8 minutes to load into the game the second time. With all settings at the lowest and a render distance at 3 chunks, it still only manages 1-2 fps at best even while running at 1.5GHz. Also, sound is not working at the moment due to an OpenAL error that I haven’t looked into yet. As you can see in the image, I’m using MulitMC to run version 1.12.1.
The general process I used to get it running was as follows.
- Compile MultiMC. This is the launcher that I managed to get running. I was using openjdk-11-jdk when this was compiled. Also, this took a very long time to complete, as in an hour or longer.
- Launch MultiMC and log in with your Mojang account.
- Add an instance of Minecraft. I tried both 1.12.1 and 1.17.1, but settled on 1.12.1 because the version of lwjgl I managed to acquire work for this version. Note this will fail to launch, but will put the needed files and folders in the right location.
- Install the liblwjgl-java-jni package. This gives you a RISC-V compiled version of liblwjgl.so which is need for the graphics backend. APT says this is version 2.9.3 if I’m not mistaken.
- Edit your Minecraft instance to use version 2.9.3. Not sure if this is completely necessary.
- Find the jar file for lwjgl. Mine was located at
- Update the jar file to use the new version liblwjgl.so located at /lib/jni/liblwjgl.so
zip -d name.jar file_to_delete ← this can be used to delete a file from a jar file
jar uf name.jar file_to_add ← this can be used to add a file to a jar file
- From MultiMC, launch Minecraft in offline mode and it should load to the main menu in about 20 minutes. Note: specifically launch Minecraft in offline mode because if you launch it normally, it will just redownload the lwjgl jar from the servers again and undo what you did in step 6.
Additionally, I update the jinput jar to use the one from /lib/jni/ as well, but I’m not sure if this is necessary as the game got to the initial screen that says Mojang without changing the jar.
And lastly, I got this running over the course of several days of troubleshooting, so I probably missed something in my process listed above. I’ll be doing a fresh install of the OS in a day or 2 in order to do a step by step guide if anyone is interested.