Freedom E SDK toolchain fails to build

I’m trying to compile the Freedom E SDK using make tools. I have all the build dependencies installed.

However, when compiling guile from riscv-binutils-gdb the process fails on the file scm-ports.c. The compiler error is error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘scm_t_port {aka struct scm_t_port}’. I know this error occurs when a type is declared but not defined, but I’m wondering if there is something I can do to fix the build or is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, can you please provide more information about your environment to help us diagnose the problem? At minimum it would be useful to provide your operating system + version as well as your GCC version.

Arch user?

https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=21104

1 Like

Yes, thanks for the link, I’ll give it a try and see if it solves the problem.

@rxia apologies for not providing enough information, I am indeed running an arch linux derivative, with gcc 6.3.1. Also guile 2.2 is installed, which matches with the thread posted by @dgrubb.

EDIT: This was indeed the issue.

1 Like

Glad you got it working. I know that there are a few people on these forums using Arch successfully but, even though I’ve never seen them give an official recommendation for a particular distribution, I get the impression that a lot of the people at SiFive use Ubuntu internally.

Hi guys I’m facing the same problem using Archlinux, I understand that the solution is to add the line “–with-guile=no” but I don’t know where to add it…
Can someone tell me where to add this line ?
Thanks a lot

What I did was change the file ‘riscv-gnu-toolchain/riscv-binutils-gdb/gdb/configure’ so that on the lines:

# Check whether --with-guile was given.
if test "${with_guile+set}" = set; then :
  withval=$with_guile;
else
  with_guile=auto
fi

the line

with_guile=auto

became

with_guile=no

Another way to do it, and it’s probably what gdb should do, is to change

try_guile_versions="guile-2.2 guile-2.0"