Unmatched desktop builds

• Case: Silverstone SST-RVZ03B-ARGB
    • HiFive1 Freedom E310 development board (case LED control)
  • Motherboard SiFive Unmatched + stock cooler
  • GPU: Asrock Radeon RX550 2G
  • SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M.2
  • PSU: be quiet System Power 9 500W
  • KALEA-INFORMATIQUE M2 E Key Adapter card to PCIe 1x / USB
    • DeLock USB 3.0 19 pin PCI Express x1 card (for case USB)

The system boots RISC-V Debian from NVMe, with a manually configured kernel (based on freedom-u-sdk’s) to enable some things like Wacom tablet support. I’ve installed a AMD RX550 GPU, driving a run of the mill HDMI monitor. It can do 1920×1080 video playback with VLC, sound works great through HDMI as well. 3D rendering with OpenGL works. Vulkan doesn’t (due to lack of mesa-vulkan for Debian RISC-V) Vulkan works but you might need to build the driver yourself.

As desktop environment I’m using wayland+sway.

Currently I’m mostly using it for RISC-V software development, as well as testing whether certain software runs on RISC-V.

This case actually contains two SiFive RISC-V boards :smile:. I ditched the stock 8051-based case led controller for a HiFive1 Rev A (which can do the required 5V I/O). It runs a firmware that takes commands over USB serial and drives a WS2812 led strip through the built-in SPI peripheral. The board is overpowered for this but it might be useful for other embedded controller tasks later.

Edit: I’ve now open-sourced the firmware here: GitHub - vmedea/hifive1-argb-fx: HiFive1 as ARGB led controller board

See it below running the FREE (and awesome) game Lure of the Temptress.

Nice to see that ScummVM games work.

3 Likes