Make software call fails

Following the instructions in chapter 5 of document SiFive-E310-arty-gettingstarted-v1.0.pdf I was not able to successfully compile the gpio example for the arty board via:

make software PROGRAM=demo_gpio BOARD=freedom-e300-arty

I additionally tried:

export PROGRAM=demo_gpio
export BOARD=freedom-e300-arty
make software

Both runs returned

cd /home/ralf/mnt/Downloads/freedom-e-sdk/software/demo_gpio;
make
make[1]: Entering directory /home/ralf/mnt/Downloads/freedom-e-sdk/software/demo_gpio' ../../bsp/../toolchain/bin/riscv32-unknown-elf-gcc -fno-builtin-printf -DUSE_PLIC -DUSE_M_TIME -g -I. -I../../bsp/include -I../../bsp/env -I../../bsp/env/freedom-e300-arty -c -o demo_gpio.o demo_gpio.c demo_gpio.c:7:25: fatal error: plic_driver.h: No such file or directory #include "plic_driver.h" ^ compilation terminated. make[1]: *** [demo_gpio.o] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory /home/ralf/mnt/Downloads/freedom-e-sdk/software/demo_gpio’
make: *** [software] Error 2

Finally I tried

make software [PROGRAM=demo_gpio BOARD=freedom-e300-arty]

which returned

cd /home/ralf/mnt/Downloads/freedom-e-sdk/software/demo_gpio;
make
make[1]: Entering directory /home/ralf/mnt/Downloads/freedom-e-sdk/software/demo_gpio' make[1]: *** No rule to make target …/…/bsp/env/freedom-e300-arty]/entry.S’, needed by ../../bsp/env/freedom-e300-arty]/entry.o'. Stop. make[1]: Leaving directory /home/ralf/mnt/Downloads/freedom-e-sdk/software/demo_gpio’
make: *** [software] Error 2

I tested this on Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS (64 bit).

Note: Finally tested compilation on Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS (64 bit) and everything works fine.

Thanks for trying it out! Another user had the same problem, we realized we had forgotten to include the plic_driver.h file. We added the file to the repository. Can you try updating your freedom-e-sdk repository to the latest version?

cd freedom-e-sdk
git pull origin/master
```

Then re-try the software make command:

```
cd freedom-e-sdk
make software_clean PROGRAM=demo_gpio BOARD=freedom-e300-arty
```

Cheers. I was experiencing the same problem and it’s resolved by the update.

I just cloned freedom-3-sdk today in a fresh VirtualBox installation of Ubuntu 16.04. The make tools seemed to run wirthout problems, but make software throws the following errors:

Has the repository changed during the past 7 days? If so what changed which might be causing this?

Thanks and regards,
Donnie

Donnie,

Yes, we updated the repo a couple days ago to make the demo actually do something “interesting” with the buttons. We’ve also updated the FE310 Arty Dev Kit Getting Started Guide to match.

Please try this command (the [] brackets are to indicate those are optional parameters):

make software_clean PROGRAM=demo_gpio BOARD=freedom-e300-arty

Hi Megan,

That worked. Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Donnie[quote=“mwachs5, post:5, topic:158”]
Donnie,

Yes, we updated the repo a couple days ago to make the demo actually do something “interesting” with the buttons. We’ve also updated the FE310 Arty Dev Kit Getting Started Guide to match.
[/quote]

Hi Megan,

I just looked at the new Getting Started Guide - there is a typo in the debugger section. It should read “make run_debug …” instead of “make run.debug …”

Best regards,
Donnie

Thanks Donnie… you’re talking about section 6.2 right? It looks like that may be a font issue.The character is indeed _ but might look like . on some viewers.

Yes, that was it. Sorry for the trouble. I think it was just my poor eyesight at fault.

Best regards,