Issue to debug qemu_sifive_e31_hello in Freedom Studio (Apple M1)

Hello,

I am having issue to run the debugger on the simple qemu_sifive_e31_hello on Freedom Studio.
I use a target qemu_sifive_e31 and have selected the option “Use the metal library…”.
When running the debugger it results in error message : “QEMU failed with code (-1)”

When running in terminal the qemu-system-riscv32 bin it shows error message :

dyld[13185]: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/vde/lib/libvdeplug.3.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/x/Documents/Sifive/FreedomStudio.app/Contents/Eclipse/SiFive/riscv-qemu-5.1.0-2020.08.1/bin/qemu-system-riscv32
  Reason: tried: '/usr/local/opt/vde/lib/libvdeplug.3.dylib' (no such file), '/usr/local/lib/libvdeplug.3.dylib' (no such file), '/usr/lib/libvdeplug.3.dylib' (no such file)
zsh: abort      

I can however run in terminal qemu-system-riscv32 downloaded from other sources (e.g. from brew install qemu).
However, if I use as executable path the qemu binary from brew install it result in the error message:

Error in final launch sequence
  Failed to execute MI command:
-target-select remote localhost:1234
Error message from debugger back end:
localhost:1234: Operation timed out.
    Failed to execute MI command:
-target-select remote localhost:1234
Error message from debugger back end:

This error happens on my new computer (macOS Monterey with M1 chip) hence I am wondering if the m1 core could be the reason of this error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Thanks

Hi - could you share the version of Freedom Studio that you are using? This can be found under the Help menu.

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply.
Here is the information:
SiFive Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Development, Version: 4.18.0.2021-04-1

Hi,

Since you are on macOS running Monterey, you will need to update your Freedom Studio version for compatibility. Please reach out via: visit Contact Sales - SiFive to describe your set up and we can provide further guidance from there.

Thanks

Ok! Thanks for the help.

Hi there, I’ve exactly the same problem, could you resolve it?

Thanks for the help

Hello tschinz,

I have not received any feedback from the “Sifive Contact sales” since I contacted them.

I found an alternative using “Segger Embedded Studio” software which work with the M1 chip.

I hope that helps you.

Hi elso, thanks for the feedback, I also wasn’t sure if sales can help with a technical problem as this.
I’ll have a look at Segger Embedded Studio