Intel 9560 M.2 WiFi card not detected - SOLVED

Not sure if I am the only one wanting to use the Unmatched with a wireless network.

Bought an Intel 9560 NGW M.2 NIC for the second, shorter M.2 slot.

This card does not show up at all in lcpci or lshw.

I have tried to re-fit the card, but I dont think there is a problem on the physical level, with the connector.

Running the Ubuntu Server 21.04 image for risc-v with the latest updates applied.

I am guessing it wont matter, but I use a Radeon 230 GPU with a Samsung 970 SSD.

I saw in this post, that one might have to install the ixgbe driver: is that relevant in this case as well?

If support is not yet there, anyone have any info/tickets etc to follow the work/get involved?

The HiFive Unmatched Getting Started Guide lists the Intel 9260 as a supported part. Comparing the 9260 to the 9560, I see that 9260 is PCIe/USB but 9560 is CNVio. I have no idea if a CNVio part can work in a PCIe M.2 slot. Wikipedia suggests that CNVio is an Intel proprietary bus that requires Intel chip set and Intel CPU support. I would suggest getting the supported Intel 9260 part instead.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNVi

I was looking for that specific model, but it wasn’t in stock at the time/I didn’t understand the difference in models.

Re-reading this post, I now realise that I misunderstood the reply - the CNVio PCIe M.2 WiFi system interface does not work with the Unmatched.

It might help others who, like me, are new to the M.2 WiFi market to add a sentence about the Unmatched not supporting the Intel CNVio system interface to the getting started guide.

Thank you for your reply!

Now I am off to buy a new wifi card…

Unmatched supports only PCIe on all three sockets – the x16 socket and the two M.2.

Umm, FAOD there’s actually USB 2.0 and UART #1 also wired to the M.2 Key E socket. I have a USB hub wired there, confirmed working:

/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/2p, 5000M
    |__ Port 2: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 5000M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/2p, 480M
    |__ Port 2: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
        |__ Port 4: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M

For UART #1 I used J8 instead to wire an EIA/TIA-232 transceiver to, as I found no readily available M.2 form factor solution (the only M.2 UART option I came across turned out to be a complete USB device rather than just a transceiver).

FWIW