FreedomStudio JLink Debugging fails

Hey!
I’m trying to use the FreedomStudio with the Jlink Debugger to debug the Hifive1revb.
Using the default jlink-debugging configuration and adding FE310 as device name resolves into following error:

Error in final launch sequence
Failed to execute MI command:
tbreak main
Error message from debugger back end:
Cannot access memory at address 0x20010124
Failed to execute MI command:
tbreak main
Error message from debugger back end:

No matter what program I try to debug remains in the same error.
Running it from the shell directly with jlink/jlink-6.44.0-2019.03.0/JLinkGDBServerCLExe -device FE310, then connecting with gdb, seems to work. I’m even able to read the error causing memory address without a problem.
It would be really nice to have the debugging working in FreedomStudio.

1 Like

Hello,
I’m experiencing the same issue, but unlike you I’m not able to solve it using “JLinkGDBServerCL.exe” directly. It actually worked once with the CLI method and even loaded the new image to the SPI flash, but only once.
The (first) error message I see is:

ERROR: Timeout while waiting for core to halt after reset and halt request

Best regards,
Christian

Same issue as well. For some reason the FE310 refuses to halt on reset. The only way I’ve been able to halt the CPU is by launching the Jlink exe manually and connecting through that then issuing h to halt it without reset. If I issue the reset command from that point onward the CPU will refuse to halt until I restart the J-Link connection without issuing the reset command

1 Like

I continued too play around with this and I figured that the I have to disable both reset and halt commands in the Debug Configurations, Startup tab to be able to connect to the device reliably.
With these reset commands disabled starting the JLink GDB Server directly from Eclipse works for me.

2 Likes

This fixes all of my problems. Thank you!

thanks! Uploading the program works for me aswell.
Are you able to use the debugger? Trying to pause/break resolves in the Cannot acess memory at address error for me.