Finding the parts to build a PC

Since I can actually order the Unmatched from mouser now, that brings back the topic of selecting the other components to build a PC.
Main problem seems to be the GPU. I guess the safest bet is to go for an AMD card, and since I don’t really need a lot of GPU power, the R5 230 was quite alright. All computer shops I know of say they can’t deliver the R5 230 any more and can give no information if it will ever be available again. So far I couldn’t find a reasonable (preferably passively cooled) card, does anyone here have a suggestion for an alternative?

Thanks!

I’m using an AMD Radeon HD6450 which is passively cooled and has 1GB RAM with an Unmatched board and haven’t had any issues with basic graphics. It older but seems like it may still be available.

1 Like

Thanks @Jim, the card indeed looks interesting. I also found the R7 240 is quite similar to the R5 230. Unfortunately all three are playing hard-to-get :slight_smile:
I did find a shop that sells a refurbished R5 230, I think that might be my best chance.

I just noticed that this seems to be a common thing to all GPU’s at the moment. I’ve heard about shortages and especially with GPU’s, but I didn’t expect that to effect the low-end ones I’m looking at.

Note that the R5 230 and R5 240 are different architecture. The 240 uses the current “amdgpu” driver, while the 230 uses the older and less maintained “radeon” driver.

Anything should work fine in basic VGA mode, of course, but it would be nice to get some acceleration.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing out the differences between the R5 230 and the R7 240.
The GSG mentions the AMD RX 500-Series (which uses the AMDGPU driver) and AMD Radeon HD 6000-Series (which uses the radeon driver), so I guess they both might work.

My R5 230 does in fact work very well with full acceleration of window dragging, transparency, and also video decoding in VLC. Nice.

Good to know :+1:

I haven’t been able to get a R5 230. I do have a AMD based GPU waiting for my Unmatched, and I don’t even know which type is it :slight_smile:. It’s a card I can borrow from someone until GPU’s are available again.