Suggestion on An Expansion Card

I can attest that the Yeston cards are quality parts; we have a few of them now because they’re so cheap yet capable. And of course, you’re welcome!

2 Likes

Huh, any idea why Biostar’s card claims 75W?

Biostar Gaming Radeon RX 550 2GB GDDR5 128-Bit DirectX 12 PCI Express 3.0 DVI-D Dual Link, HDMI, DisplayPort - Newegg.com-9SIA23X90S6781--Product&quicklink=true

update (can’t reply, I’m still throttled to 3 replies per topic)

AMD specs seem to claim 50W so 40 makes sense if underclocked, 75 seems a bit excessive

Tom’s Hardware found both the reference card and MSI’s version (no longer made, expensive on Amazon) peak at 47W and in non gaming usage only draw up to 15W

This seems to be a reasonable claim. My Radeon WX5100; a single fan, non-overclocked, no external power graphics card is graded at 75W too. I am more shocked by the Yeston RX550 card I mentioned which is graded at 40W – crazy low.

I have an R5 230 card I’m hoping will work. It uses 18 W.

Of course I don’t expect it to be super fast, but all I want is a big monitor with crisp text in terminals and emacs.

3 Likes

I finally have the privilege to reply more than 3x per post!

Updated my previous comment - looks like in benchmarks this card isn’t supposed to draw more than 47W even when gaming, so Biostar might be shipping a bigger fan (so it doesn’t get thermal throttled)? Or just got their documentation wrong.

The Yeston has a longer shipping time so I might buy it sooner rather than later

1 Like

i have an rx550* (4gb) that i use with the hifive unleashed + expansion board, and works well at 4k

its quite cool and the fan barely runs … i’ve even connected it through the m2 connector using an adapter (with external power supply) works fine too

hoping it will work well with the unmatched as well

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/radeon-rx-550-aero-itx-4g-oc.html

2 Likes

@andre What kind of M.2 adapter did you use? Linky? Thanks.

the actual one i bought was this one

not sure where else you can get one that is exactly the same, but this one on amazon us might work…
(it looks very similar to the one i bought)

btw, the reason i bought this was because i was having hard freeze when using certain pci-e usb cards, and was trying to narrow down the cause (voltage, hw, kernel etc) and wanted to try the usb card w/external power (to no luck)

1 Like

Everyone is thinking video cards, but I’m wondering if a PCIe to Sata controller, or a full fledged RAID controller would work with this board. RISC-V NAS to store all my movies and FLACs.

2 Likes

I just grabbed a used R5 340x off eBay (30W and $30) thinking of trying this out myself as well.

The Rx 200/300 series look like they use the same amdgpu driver as Rx 500 series, so hopefully won’t take too much effort if they don’t work.

2 Likes

@Mr.Sleepyeyes Yes, a SATA, SAS or RAID card should be physically supported. I can’t see such a card taking up more power than modest video cards that do work. The trick comes with drivers. RISC-V is different enough that you may want to check that the kernel has built in drivers, (meaning external vendor drivers may not work).

Further more, you may end up not being able to boot directly off the storage card’s devices.

Of course, if you use the only PCIe slot for a storage card, you can’t use it for video. So count on an alternate method of console access. For example, serial or using the M.2 M key slot as video.

1 Like

Came here as that was just what I was thinking about as well. Just getting started in the research which sata controllers might work, not sure where to start in terms of drivers/firmware support. Did you end up purchasing a card/digging deeper @Mr.Sleepyeyes?