SD card incompatibility and some other harsh feedback

I definitely have to agree here! I picked a silent power supply and GPU but the motherboard fan has this whining sound. Would be nice to have a more silent stock fan, or at least official, straightforward documentation on how to replace it with one.

SATA adapter for SiFive Unmatched

I use an IOCREST M.2 (A+E Key) to 2-Port SATA Card,IO-ADA58215 (M.2(A+E Key) to 2-Port SATA Card,IO-ADA58215 - M.2/Mini PCIe - Storage Products - My web) adapter to provide two SATA ports. You can buy it at Aliexpress for 15 USD + shipping.

U-Boot can boot from SATA using the following patch:
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/patch/20210825162157.3942-1-heinrich.schuchardt@canonical.com/

I agree completely.
The silence / lack of response from the manufacturer speaks volumes - unfortunately.

It’s indeed disappointing there is no response from sifive at all. Not even “We agree, we need some time” or “Sorry, we don’t agree”.

The CPU fan header on my board was soldered to the board upside down and with the fan connected upside down. I only noticed after after comparing the colors of the wires with the images in the getting started guide. (Note, I forgot to take the picture before I cut the tab off.) I hope none of the other components have this issue but it’s likely impossible to tell, though everything I’ve tried so far works.

While I appreciate that compatibility is expensive/tedious to test, I hope that quality assurance improves so that issues like this can be avoided.

1 Like

Yep, the CPU fan header is soldered on backwards. That’s crazy, and good catch by you, I’m not sure I would have noticed. I just checked mine real quick to be sure, and it is fine but I wonder how many other people have this issue?