LINK ERROR: relocation truncated to fit: R_RISCV_JAL against symbol

Toolchain Version: riscv-none-embed-gcc-xpack v8.3.0-2.3, where the individual components’ versions are as follows:

BINUTILS_GIT_BRANCH=${BINUTILS_GIT_BRANCH:-"sifive-binutils-2.32-cache-control-patch-xpack"}
      if [[ "${RELEASE_VERSION}" =~ 8\.3\.0-2\.[1] ]]
      then
        BINUTILS_GIT_COMMIT=${BINUTILS_GIT_COMMIT:-"d005a513ac8469bf23a1a7655a6d372a7f470dd3"}
      else
        BINUTILS_GIT_COMMIT=${BINUTILS_GIT_COMMIT:-"c46d3912cd901db4bdc331bd394aa97d85ac1746"}
      fi

GCC_GIT_BRANCH=${GCC_GIT_BRANCH:-"sifive-gcc-8.3.0-xpack"}
      GCC_GIT_COMMIT=${GCC_GIT_COMMIT:-"e195042babe2dc30d9fabb88d336d8c8679b3702"}

NEWLIB_GIT_BRANCH=${NEWLIB_GIT_BRANCH:-"fix-S5CSD-1486-xpack"}
      NEWLIB_GIT_COMMIT=${NEWLIB_GIT_COMMIT:-"dd7f1b85e9bb29a97d9357a617b6ff29a7d2f19a"}

GDB_SRC_FOLDER_NAME=${GDB_SRC_FOLDER_NAME:-"binutils-gdb.git"}
      GDB_GIT_BRANCH=${GDB_GIT_BRANCH:-"gdb-8.3-release-cache-control-patch-xpack"}
      GDB_GIT_COMMIT=${GDB_GIT_COMMIT:-"ee1f38cc20612d5a570cab0e818ee40fc31b148a"}

I got the following linkage errors with -O0 -ggdb options, while it’s okay with -Os and without -ggdb option.

build/kernel/libcpu/risc-v/k210/startup_gcc.o: in function `.L0 ':
/home/remember/my_work/k210-openmv_release/src/rt-thread/libcpu/risc-v/k210/startup_gcc.S:125:(.start+0x134): relocation truncated to fit: R_RISCV_JAL against symbol `secondary_cpu_c_start' defined in .text.secondary_cpu_c_start section in build/kernel/libcpu/risc-v/k210/cpuport_smp.o
build/kernel/libcpu/risc-v/common/context_gcc.o: in function `.L0 ':
/home/remember/my_work/k210-openmv_release/src/rt-thread/libcpu/risc-v/common/context_gcc.S:50:(.text+0x12): relocation truncated to fit: R_RISCV_JAL against symbol `rt_cpus_lock_status_restore' defined in .text.rt_cpus_lock_status_restore section in build/kernel/src/cpu.o
build/kernel/libcpu/risc-v/k210/interrupt_gcc.o: in function `.L0 ':
/home/remember/my_work/k210-openmv_release/src/rt-thread/libcpu/risc-v/k210/interrupt_gcc.S:77:(.text.entry+0x7c): relocation truncated to fit: R_RISCV_JAL against symbol `rt_hw_context_switch_exit' defined in .text section in build/kernel/libcpu/risc-v/common/context_gcc.o
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
scons: *** [rtthread.elf] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

gcc-8.3 is 2 years old. I would suggest trying a newer toolchain. We aren’t maintaining gcc-8.3 anymore, only the current gcc-10.2. That is also a third party toolchain that you are using. You might have to report the bug to them.

I can’t do anything useful without a testcase to reproduce. However, this might be a binutils bug fixed about a year ago

The source files (which we aren’t given a reference to) are .S. Maybe they just have bare JAL.

Yes, there are jal instruction, j pseudoinstruction or conditional branch instruction in these .S files in the following links… Also, there errors generate after I add some new code package into my whole project. Before that it can be built correctly even with -ggdb -O0 options.
context_gcc.S
interrupt_gcc.S
startup_gcc.S

Do these errors mean that the targets of these instructions are beyond the address range they can access? And when options -Os is used, the size of the code is optimized to a smaller one so that those targets fall into the address range of those instructions again? If so, how should I fix it?

Sorry I cannot provide a complete testcase now.

The normal way to call a function is to use an auipc/jalr pair. The auipc loads the upper 20-bits, and the jalr loads the lower 12-bits. There is a call macro that expands to this sequence. And also a tail macro for tail calls.

jal by itself gives you only 20 bits, which means a +/-1MB range. If your final program is over 1MB then you can have out-of-range branches.

We don’t have linker support to fix out-of-range branches. We do have linker support to relax branches, so if you use auipc/jalr and it is in range of jal, then the linker will do the conversion if you used the call macro and you have relaxation enabled. So use of auipc/jalr via the call macro is the recommend way to write assembly code.

Bingo.

That helps me a lot and solves my problem. Thank you very much.