1.0.2 Demo MCS Payload Not Working

I’m attempting to get the basic Freedom-e310 demo payload working per the original SiFive instructions. After reading through a number of the forum posts, I’m curious whether this payload actually contains the demo_gpio program.

I followed the instructions in the Freedom-e310 v1.05 Getting Started Guide. I’m using Vivado 2016.4 on Ubuntu 16.04. I went through all the setup instructions to get the payload (freedom-e310-arty-1-0-2.mcs) programmed. Everything works without issue. However, when I press the “program” button the device, I only get two LED’s illuminated (LD4, LD6) in addition to the basic “Done” LED. I do not get all four LED’s lit, nor do I see multiple colors. Further, when I connect to the UART port, I get zero console output. I’ve tried resetting the device (reset button) and going through a full power cycle and re-program. I’m using the following command to access the UART console:

sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB1 115200

I’ve verified that my Arty and the Olimex debug devices are recognized:
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 15ba:002a Olimex Ltd. ARM-USB-TINY-H JTAG interface
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0403:6010 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT2232C Dual USB-UART/FIFO IC

FIXED:
I had the Olimex JTAG device plugged in at the same time. Unplugging the Olimex successfully programmed the board.

1 Like

I am curious. Are you running Vivado within Linux or in Windows? I ask this because I originally had the same problem, but no longer do. However, I am running Viavado under Windows, which does not “see” the Olimex driver when it is binded to the Linux virtual machine. I can program the Arty from Vivado under Windows without disconnecting the Olimex. If I remember right, I had the problem when binding the Arty USB port to the Linux VM, and then trying to programm the Arty via the Olimex debugger.

Donnie, I’m running Vivado on a native Ubuntu 16.04 install (no VM). I’ve been able to compile and manually program the board with the demo_gpio and dhrystone payloads as well.